Re: [Phys-l] "Who's On First"

I think Tim Folkerts makes a great analogy here, and I agree with his points
100%. This common culture, language, and experiences (or lack thereof) is
really interesting to me. Of course nearly everyone has probably run into
students who don't know what a record player/turn-table is. I'd wager that
esssentially 100% of our students have never seen a slide rule (of course,
I've never _used_ a slide rule, so that's not so foreign to me). Will
students have no common point of reference about CRT's if monitors go
completely flatscreen? Internet bandwidth and data storage capacity
limitations are essentially non-existant on residential college campuses.
GPS is so commonplace as to be non-remarkable. Neat, and important if want
to communicate effectively.

***

I was struck by his particular example. When I taught the large survey
intro class, I played this exact sketch as the "pre-class entertainment" on
my very first lecture. (Since we often set up demos, I have the large
lecture room reserved before the lectures. Students come in at various
times before the lecture starts. I play a short video or video clip that I
time to end just before the lecture hour starts. The video ends, we begin
class. My colleagues do versions of this; most of them play music. I found
that it is a remarkable way to get a large class started all at once).