From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu]On Behalf Of Brian
Whatcott
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 10:25 AM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: [Phys-l] Ballistics divertissement

I watched a TV movie last night of the CSI variety, which revolved
around twelve jurors, dismayed by a torturer/killer going
free, who conspired to train themselves to execute (!) a firing squad.
This program emanated from a country which does not
(publically) endorse state-sponsored torture, so there
was a dramatic element.

A policeman casually mentioned, the shooters would know which of
the twelve had the live round in the rifle - the recoil of course.

So here's the point that puzzled me: supposing that each round had
the same propellant charge, what would be the magnitude of the
recoil/difference?

I expect that it would be reasonable to have some numbers,
so let me pull these out of the air:
bullet: 0.030 kg
muzzle velocity: 500 m/s

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!