Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

On Oct 6, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Kilmer, Skip wrote:

Shouldn't it also depend on the mass and velocity of the expelled gas?
I don't know, but it seems reasonable that blanks would have a smaller charge. My only experience with firing blanks is using a starter's pistol, and it had noticeably less recoil than my 9mm semiauto. I doubt that that's a good comparison, since the starter blanks were .22s.
skip

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu]On Behalf Of Spagna
Jr., George
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 12:28 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Ballistics divertissement

Bernard wrote

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l->bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard
Cleyet
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 1:19 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators

-- I thought the recoil was independent of the bullet, i.e. only depended on the charge. What one feels will depend
on
the mass of the weapon.

Conservation of linear momentum - the recoil depends on the muzzle
velocity, the mass of the bullet, and the mass of the weapon.

"I was a Republican until they lost their minds."
-- Charles Barkley

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College