Re: [Phys-l] Ballistics divertissement

I must be very ignorant -- I thought the recoil was independent of the bullet, i.e. only depended on the charge. What one feels will depend on the mass of the weapon. On my way to Star Market I'll stop at Trigger Hill and ask.

bc, who thought rockets worked in a vacuum.

p.s. reminds me of the M. Douglas film "The Star Chamber".

John Clement wrote:

There might also be a noticeable difference in the smoke. The blank may
produce more smoke coming out of the muzzle, while the live round might have
more smoke coming out of the chamber. There might also be a difference in
the sound, but that would be very subtle and would not be noticed unless
they fire sequentially. I suspect that the recoil question might be better
answered experimentally by someone who has experienced the difference
between a blank and live ammunition.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I watched a TV movie last night of the CSI variety, which revolved
around twelve jurors, dismayed by a torturer/killer going
free, who conspired to train themselves to execute (!) a firing squad.
This program emanated from a country which does not
(publically) endorse state-sponsored torture, so there
was a dramatic element.

A policeman casually mentioned, the shooters would know which of
the twelve had the live round in the rifle - the recoil of course.

So here's the point that puzzled me: supposing that each round had
the same propellant charge, what would be the magnitude of the
recoil/difference?

I expect that it would be reasonable to have some numbers,
so let me pull these out of the air:
bullet: 0.030 kg
muzzle velocity: 500 m/s

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!