Re: [Phys-l] not our majors now!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Mungan" <mungan@usna.edu>

A few simple ideas and things I've actually tried and found
successful when teaching majors:

Problem: Students wait until the last minute to do homework.

Solution: Divide each homework into parts due on successive lectures.
Rather than 9 problems due on Monday, how about 3 problems due each
lecture?

I've been doing this for 3 years now. First year it worked fine, but now I am seeing a real down-side to this. Students are much more likely to blow off completely (read not do) a daily assignment (since it is only worth a couple points) than they were to avoid a big assignment. The other problem I've found with this--having this year moved my class from 2 PM to 8:30 AM -- is that I get almost no one coming to the office for help. I get in at 7AM but at best one student may show up at 8:15 with a question.

Rick