Re: [Phys-l] not our majors now!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monce, Michael N." <mnmon@conncoll.edu>

I hate to say misery loves company... but... What you and are are experiencing seems to point out what John D, and others, are saying: we are reaping the
fruit, even with physics majors, of a decline in general education system.

I'm really not so sure about the above. I would re-emphasize my post. We are seeing a cultural change that is taking more and more TIME away from student's academic work. We should not be surprised by this since we are immersed in the same culture. How much time do each of us spend each day reading these messages, and then responding? How much time did we spend doing this 10-15 years ago? Is there anyone out there that really has found that technology has decreased their work load--decreased the time necessary to prepare classes? I suspect that some of the student attitudes we are seeing are defense mechanisms to lower the stress level caused by their own poor time management skills.

Rick