[Phys-l] Afraid of being smart?

BELOW IS A MESSAGE FROM Y; IT WAS POSTED AT ANOTHER LIST:

P.S.
X is a mathematician, Y is a computer scientist.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.

X wrote:
> My kids went through elementary school with no grades, and
> it was great! They didn't get the usual social disapprobation for
> excelling that is so common in this culture, and makes smart
> kids afraid of being seen as smart.

Y wrote:
It is a shame that kids are afraid of being seen as smart. This is due to miscomprehension of the concept of equality. Maybe we can fix it.

X wrote:
> Not having grown up in the U.S. you may not be aware as
> to how powerful that anti-intellectual tide is. It does a lot to
> undermine education, no matter what the teachers do.

Y wrote:
Just because I did not grow up in the US does not mean that I am unaware of the anti-intellectualism epidemic. I have been fighting against it for a long time.

That is why teachers cannot be held 100% accountable, not all teachers. The ones who are behind the anti-intellectualism are the ones that should be held
accountable. But because teachers are afraid of being held accountable they fear that standard tests will be used against them. But actually they are the
solution not the problem.