Re: [Phys-l] Ionization type smoke detectors.

At 11:36 AM 9/28/2006, you wrote:
... stopping the Alphas would have the
opposite of the intended effect, a "proof" of his explanation.

Uh?
Alphas are stopped in large carbon particles - Oh, all right,
greatly slowed?

... I discovered a very curious effect when I lived in an
old flat in a depressed part of England. I would use a liquid paraffin
heater when I ran out of coal. /// I discovered the heater would
flame out after a time. /// I suspect if the heater was not self extinguishing w/
low O2 supply, I wouldn't be writing this.

Kerosene unvented heaters are on sale at most hardwares in the US.
The makers apparently take care to minimize the lethal CO production
(boasting of "blue flame") and the CO2 production is physiologically
observable - unlike the O2 depletion. This might be a factor in
BC's survival.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!