Re: [Phys-l] Is the "Scientific Method" the Same as "Positivism"?

On Sep 27, 2006, at 12:51 AM, Richard Hake wrote:
ABSTRACT: I agree with Dutta & Bork that research on learning is
weak, at least in comparison to, say, traditional research in
hard-core physics. But I think: (a) this relative weakness derives
more from the complexity of human learning and education than from
misguided reliance on the "scientific method," as seems to be implied
by Dutta, and (b) Dutta's identification of the "scientific method"
with "positivism" is somewhat problematic. . . . .

Most of us are familiar with the scientific method of validation in physical sciences. But positivism is less familiar. A brief description of positivism can be found in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positivism

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.