Re: [Phys-l] Gasoline and the Prius

Yes *, yes, and yes.

There are also after market kits for battery add on and engine shut of (force motor) and charger. The European and Niponeese version have a built in switch ** to force motor only, etc., etc.

* Not quite; a few s. The thermometer is faster.
** Look to the left of the steering wheel for the panel cut out.

bc, who's less concerned not that $/ga. has dropped > 25¢

jbellina wrote:

Since we bought a Prius, my wife, the primary driver who had a lead foot, has changed precisely because of the real time mileage read out. However, being the compulsive person she is, she is now trying to find ways to maximize the mileage. For example, apparently is you are driving about 30-35 mph you can force the system to use the battery by quickly accelerating and then touching the brake. She has also changed routes from high speed ones to more modest ones...less in a hurry is a way to say it.
She tells me there are web sites and blogs devoted to how to get better mileage.

cheers,

joe
Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics