To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 7:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] gasoline

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Whatcott" <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>

In the September 2006 issue of Popular Science, there is an interesting
article on starting on page 50: "The Race To 100 MPG." A prize of $25
million will be given to the first group to bring a 100-mpg car to market.
And the race is on! >

In annual fuel economy competitions, vehicles which might loosely be
called cars make fuel economies in the thousands of MPG on a
flat track, using any and every fuel reduction technique known.

Which is why the competition is 'to bring a 100-mpg car to market.' I am
assuming the vehicle has to carry at least 2 people (4 would be more useful)
and of course has to meet all safety regulations. That makes a big
difference between the somewhat meaningless fuel economy competitions that
Brian notes, and something useful for the driving public. The Honda Insight
nominally gets 70 mpg, so it would seem that the goal is not out of reach,
but then again you don't see many Insights driving around -- can be a scary
sight to see one surrounded by H2 Hummers! ;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College