Re: [Phys-l] trimester course set-up

At 9:53 AM -0400 8/30/06, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
I have been teaching long enough that I have gone from semesters to
quarters and back to semesters again.

Most of the courses I teach are year-long courses. If you switch from
two 15-week semesters to three 10-week quarters, or vice-versa, it makes
practically zero difference. If your course meets five days a week each
week under semesters, it is a 5-semester-hour course, and for the year
the students get 10 semester-hours of credit. If the same course meets
five days a week each quarter, then it is a 5-quarter-hour course, and
for the year the students get 15 quarter-hours of credit. Credit-wise
this is the same; 15 qtr-hrs equals 10 sem-hrs. Yes, with quarters
there is an extra start-up and an extra grading. I believe that is a
minor perturbation.

Except at my institution we had 150 instruction days per year under
quarters and the switch to semesters 8 years ago leaves us with only
140-142 instruction days per year (and there seems to be pressure to
shorten the semester even more).

However, I think the original poster was inquiring about high school
schedules and many of us have been replying about our experience with
college schedules. There is a difference. And there seems to be a trend
in high schools to move to trimesters with longer periods; in many cases
the students don't go to the same classes every day under this system.

Larry