From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Stuart
Leinoff
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:43 PM
To: Phys-L List server
Subject: [Phys-l] bicycle stability (yes, again)

Ok, so once again I find that what I thought I understood well, is
wrong.

The clear concensus is that bicycle stability is not due to angular
momentum conservation (or angular inertia). But can it be that there is
"NO"
contribution to the stability from this factor?

As a devout "lurker" I hate to actually interject, but I did not see
anyone offer "gyro stabilization" as at least a component of the ability
to balance on two points of support.

If I hold my bicycle wheel demonstrator resting on the ground with the
axle horizontal then release it, it falls over immediately.

If I set it rolling on the ground, it stays upright for a while before
slowing down and falling over. There is no feedback mechanism here
where a rider would be turning the wheel to keep the point(s) of support
under the CM.

Gyro stabilization is certainly a real phenomenon (gun turrets, rockets,
binoculars etc) and it seems to me that there must be some component
involved with stabilizing a bicycle.

(But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.)

--
Stuart Leinoff
Professor of Physics