Re: [Phys-l] season's greetings

As has been said on this forum before--for science/engineering students, all of this is fine, but if you are working with a general-education group or a high-school group and you main concern is getting accross that all measurements are of finite precision and AT BEST carry a +/- 1 unit uncertainty in the last recorded digit AND that when you combine measurements to calculate another quantity (say density from measurement of dimensions and mass) then one needs to be careful about implying that one's calculation may suggest a greater precision or confidence than is warranted, then the relatively simple concept of significant digits and the rules for combining such mathematically seems (IMO) sufficient for such an audience. Later in the course we will do a lab where we get concerned about doing a more sophisticated error analysis, but for the audience and the level, sig figs are really not so terrible, despite JDs (and other's) aversion to such.

So, not to open this argument again, the bottom line is that if sig figs serve your purpose (and your purpose is NOT to produce research level scientists) then I think ignoring JD on this point is OK! ;-)

Rick (who also ignores JG and uses 'heat' as a noun!)

***************************
Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
******************************
Free Physics Software
PC & Mac
*******************************

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>

/It's that time of year again: the start of school. Chapter 1 of
the textbook goes on and on about significant digits. A few
students sit there, fidgeting, wondering whether the teacher is
really crazy enough to believe this stuff. The more they think
about it, the less sense it makes. But// only a few of them bother
to think about it at all; most of them learned long ago that
thinking about classwork is a lose/lose proposition./

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think we can do better than that. We
can start by eradicating the sigfig nonsense. I recently updated my
web page on the subject.