Re: [Phys-l] Air Conditioner Sizing (was Another Try)

In many parts of the country HVAC contractors
routinely oversize residential units since "success"
to them is no callbacks when it hits 115-118 like it
did here in Fresno last month. Even our old (20 year)
unit serving a poorly insulated condo with single pane
windows and high ceilings did not run continuously on
the hottest days. On normal (ie, 95F) days, it's duty
cycle is <20%. Quite inefficient. And local
contractors were proposing even higher BTU/SF capacity
systems for a new, energy-efficient house were
contemplating building. More up-front cost and higher
energy bills to boot.

It seems to me that a properly sized unit would run
continuously on the hottest day to maintain 80F. I'd
be curious to know the duty cycle of Roger's high
speed compressor when it's REALLY hot.

John Barrere
Fresno, CA
(where it's usually, but not always, a dry heat)

--- Roger Haar <haar@physics.arizona.edu> wrote:

Dear Mike,

I am from NW Ohio, so I remember it a bit. I am
now in AZ and late
summer is hot and fairly humid. Two years ago I
replaced our 20 year
old AC and swamp cooler with the best ( highest
SEER rating) I could
get. The unit has two compressors. The low speed
pulls about 1600
Watts. The air conditioning part of my electric
bill dropped from
almost $200 to less than $50 per month. But the
thing was pricey. I
figure over the life of the unit, that at current
power prices, the
savings with the higher SEER just balanced the
couple thousand more it cost.

ENJOY
Roger Haar

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

Brian Whatcott makes a very good point that HVAC
units in the USA are
often meausured in tons. However, his estimate of
a 5-ton AC unit for a
2000 sq ft home seems high to me.

I am cooling about 3000 sq ft in northwest Ohio
with less than 2 tons.
My house is an old Victorian house with walls that
are three bricks
thick, so it is fairly well insulated, and also
has a lot of thermal
mass. Since it has hot water heat, there is no
duct work, so I am using
window AC units which fortunately have gotten much
quieter, more
efficient, and lighter. I have four 6000-BTU
units. At 12,000 BTU per
ton, that means I have exactly 2 tons. However, I
only run two units
(one upstairs and one downstairs) unless the
temperature gets over 85 F
oustide. Today it is about 90 F and quite humid,
so I have all four
running.

If I were to install central air, which I have
considered doing, I think
I would only install a 2-ton unit; not a 5-ton
unit. I think AC is
often oversized, and then it cycles on and off.
The problem with that
is poor dehumidification, which is important in
Ohio. I get good
humidity control by running the required number of
units continuously.
If one of the units begins to cycle (because the
temperature setting has
been reached), I just turn it completely off.

I'd like to have a two-stage central air system
constructed with two
one-ton units. I would run one continuously and
bring on the second as
needed.

The science building at Bluffton University just
had its 28-year-old AC
unit replaced. A 25-ton compressor was replaced
with a two-stage unit
consisting of a 10-ton compressor and a 15-ton
compressor. For most of
the summer we have been running the 10-ton only
and continuously. It is
cooling fine and keeps the humidity much lower
than when we ran the
previous 25-ton that cycled on and off. Only on a
few days when the
outside temp went above 95 F did the 15-ton stage
kick in. We're saving
electricity and keeping drier with the two-stage
unit.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University