[Phys-l] Teaching torque

This will be short because I want to generate discussion.

I consider torque to be a somewhat difficult topic for students. One of the most frequently asked questions from first year students that I answered in my office was "What is torque?" My first sentence in answer was always "Grab the end of this meter stick and hold it tightly." I then twisted the meter stick. "That's torque", I would then say. Torque is twisting force, sort of. Then, of course, I got more formal. In first year we lie to students about torque. We almost never speak about torques as being referred to a point; we always speak of a torque with respect to an axis. We should always be prepared to recognize this when we teach mechanics again to the continuing students. A "torque with respect to an axis" is merely the component parallel to that axis of a torque with respect to a point on that axis.

I always asked first year students to write the symbol for torque with a subscript representing the axis to remind them that torques must usually be referred to some point or axis. It is a small point, but I think it helped straighten thinking about torques. Some teachers think that subscripts should be avoided in elementary courses. I think subscripts serve a useful purpose in many cases.

Leigh