Re: [Phys-l] Bicycle question

I am reminded of some relevant experiments I did in LA in the forties and fifties. My first bike was a pre-owned "balloon-tired bike", heavy with longhorn handlebars. It was also quite rugged. I lived very near to Burnside Avenue Elementary School* which had a large, open asphalt surfaced play area. I learned that if I got going fast enough on my bike and jumped off, the bike would continue to move on a curving path. On rare occasions it would complete an almost circular orbit and I could catch it before it crashed. Of course I never could get it to go straight after I jumped off, though I did try hard to do so. Of course I now know why I failed. I think that this experiment could be repeated by running alongside and launching a small child's bicycle which one is willing to scratch up a bit. I would like to hear any observations made by members of this group who try it. Beware of the dreaded "pedal hop" on tight fast turns, a disease my first bike had.

Despite my demonstrated lack of respect for that bike my parents bought me a Bayard "racing bicycle", one of the very few thin-tired" bikes owned in my peer group. It had only one gear, but it was fast, and I started organized racing on it. I never abused it as I had the other bike. I did experiment with a new challenge, however, and it is one I still carry out to this day. Find a stretch of four-inch wide white line somewhere on a flat, unbusy road or playground. See how far you can ride on the line without leaving the white. You will find this to be very difficult for the reason I mentioned; you will be constantly turning to avoid falling**. If you try this experiment you will understand my explanation kinesthetically as well as intellectually, a good thing to do, in my view.

The old gyroscopic argument may have made some small contribution with my old bike; at least I once thought so. The line riding experiment, however, should bust that myth permanently. Riding fast (with increased gyroscopic moments for the wheels) doesn't make line riding any easier. The best feeling bikes I've ridden also seem to be those with the lightest wheels. Just put those old gyroscopic arguments away with the Benoulli "explanation" of how airplanes fly. We owe our students sound arguments or else they will think that physics is just a collection of pat answers to be memorized and regurgitated. Do mention that this simple system is not sufficiently well understood that it can be completely modeled. That won't make the students think any less of you, and they will get the idea that perhaps all the easy stuff hasn't already been discovered.

Leigh

*After much thrashing with Google and Google Earth I determined that Burnside Avenue Elementary School has a new name. MLK Elementary? No. JFK Elementary? No. It is now called "Saturn Street Elementary School". I wonder how much General Motors paid them to rebrand the school.

** As you get better, you will make smaller adjustments to keep on an even keel. I find that it is impossible to do well at this task while looking directly at the front wheel on the line. Look into the distance and keep the line and wheel in your peripheral vision. I used to find that I got more proficient with practice during the commuting season, and I lost all my ability over the winter when I was not riding regularly. I can't do it at all well now.