Re: [Phys-l] Sir, Can We Do Something Easier?

At Illinois State Univ., we have enjoyed an increasing trend in our number of students in our
Physics Teacher Education program for the past several years. We currently have more than 40 such
students in the sequence. Our total number of majors in our 4 degree sequences is over 130. We
only offer undergraduate degrees in our department.

Cheers,
David Marx

Then there is the problem that colleges are not graduating enough competent
science and math teachers. Indeed in many states the flow has reduced to a
trickle.

There is one bright spot in TX. Univ of TX at Austin has started a program
called UTEACH which integrates training in PER and Science research
curricula into science teacher training. It has dramatically increased the
production of new science teachers and increased the 5 year retention rate.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I especially like the final quotation from Sanford Smith... "you
shouldn't have to work that hard to make physics exciting, because ... "
- he pauses, on the edge of the great unmentionable - "it is exciting.
You just need to know enough about it."

That seems a difficult hurdle... Getting students sufficiently into
physics that they see the excitement.