[Phys-l] Smolin's preons = geons?

This is a basic explanation of what I am talking about in the earlier posts.
Unfortunately I cannot send the pictures. This article is available in the
New Scientist publication. Basically fundamental particles are modeled as
triplets of string like objects which can twist and cross each other creating
topological charges which are postulated as the source of electroweak, strong
and helicity of the fundamental particles of the SM. For Fermions you end with
two three dimensional flavor spaces and two four dimensional flavor spaces
based on electric charge and helicity.

( + L) = { e(+) U d(+) }_L ( - R) = {e(-) U(-) d }_R

(+R)= { e(+) U d(+) v} _R ( - L) = { e(-) U(-) d v}_L

Note here the neutrino is it's own antiparticle.

Bob Zannelli

==================
Lee Smolin and colleagues have come up with an interesting particle model
that looks to
me to be quite compatible with 4-geons. The relevant papers [1] are
discussed in this
Physics Forums thread:

http://www.physicsfhttp://wwwhttp://www.http://www.p

(I see Carl is active in that thread!)
and are also discussed in a New Scientist article [2]
Some of the figures in the papers [1] conjure up images that are more or
less what I have
always had in my mind when I imagined what 4-geons might "look" like.

Mark, I wonder whether you have any comments on this? Is this what you have
in mind for
what a 4-geon might "look" like? (Hmm ... I wonder whether the "4-" in
4-geon applies to
their stuff ..)

David

PS: Sorry I've been neglecting this group for the past 6 months. I've
started a rewrite of my
MMWI paper from scratch, mainly so that I can get it under 6000 words
(required for
submission to international foundation of louis de Broglie). I should say
that the second
paper in [1] (0603022) uses the idea of a superposition of spacetimes in,
afaict, exactly
the same way that I use it. And their basic idea of a preon is also, afaict,
exactly what I
have in mind when I think of geons. Hmmm ... what they HAVEN'T done is show
how the
Born rule emerges -- which I know how to do!!

[1]
http://arxiv.http://arxivhttp://arx

http://arxiv.http://arxivhttp://arx

[2]
http://www.newscienhttp://wwhttp://www.newschttp://www.newschtt

You are made of space-time
From New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.
Davide Castelvecchi
Valerie Jamieson

LEE SMOLIN is no magician. Yet he and his colleagues have pulled off one of
the greatest
tricks imaginable. Starting from nothing more than Einstein's general theory
of relativity,
they have conjured up the universe. Everything from the fabric of space to
the matter that
makes up wands and rabbits emerges as if out of an empty hat.

It is an impressive feat. Not only does it tell us about the origins of
space and matter, it
might help us understand where the laws of the universe come from. Not
surprisingly,
Smolin, who is a theoretical physicist at the Perimeter Institute in
Waterloo, Ontario, is very
excited. "I've been jumping up and down about these ideas," he says.

This promising approach to understanding the cosmos is based on a collection
of theories
called loop quantum gravity, an attempt to merge general relativity and
quantum
mechanics into a single consistent theory.

The origins of loop quantum gravity can be traced back to the 1980s, when
Abhay
Ashtekar, now at Pennsylvania State University in University Park, rewrote
Einstein's
equations of general relativity in a quantum framework. Smolin and Carlo
Rovelli of the
University of the Mediterranean in Marseille, France, later developed
Ashtekar's ideas and
discovered that in the new framework, space is not smooth and continuous but
instead
comprises indivisible chunks just 10-35 metres in diameter. Loop quantum
gravity then
defines space-time as a network of abstract links that connect these volumes
of space,
rather like nodes linked on an airline route map.

From the start, physicists noticed that these links could wrap around one
another to form
braid-like structures. Curious as these braids were, however, no one
understood their
meaning. "We knew about braiding in 1987," says Smolin, "but we didn't know
if it
corresponded to anything physical."

Enter Sundance Bilson-Thompson, a theoretical particle physicist at the
University of
Adelaide in South Australia. He knew little about quantum gravity when, in
2004, he began
studying an old problem from particle physics. Bilson-Thompson was trying to
understand
the true nature of what physicists think of as the elementary particles -
those with no
known sub-components. He was perplexed by the plethora of these particles in
the
standard model, and began wondering just how elementary they really were. As
a first step
towards answering this question, he dusted off some models developed in the
1970s that
postulated the existence of more fundamental entities called preons.

Just as the nuclei of different elements are built from protons and
neutrons, these preon
models suggest that electrons, quarks, neutrinos and the like are built from
smaller,
hypothetical particles that carry electric charge and interact with each
other. The models
eventually ran into trouble, however, because they predicted that preons
would have vastly
more energy than the particles they were supposed to be part of. This fatal
flaw saw the
models abandoned, although not entirely forgotten.

Bilson-Thompson took a different tack. Instead of thinking of preons as
particles that join
together like Lego bricks, he concentrated on how they interact. After all,
what we call a
particle's properties are really nothing more than shorthand for the way it
interacts with
everything around it. Perhaps, he thought, he could work out how preons
interact, and
from that work out what they are.

To do this, Bilson-Thompson abandoned the idea that preons are point-like
particles and
theorised that they in fact possess length and width, like ribbons that
could somehow
interact by wrapping around each other. He supposed that these ribbons could
cross over
and under each other to form a braid when three preons come together to make
a particle.
Individual ribbons can also twist clockwise or anticlockwise along their
length. Each twist,
he imagined, would endow the preon with a charge equivalent to one-third of
the charge
on an electron, and the sign of the charge depends on the direction of the
twist.

The simplest braid possible in Bilson-Thompson'The simplest braid possible
in Bilson-
and corresponds to an electron neutrino (see Graphic). Flip it over in a
mirror and you have
its antimatter counterpart, the electron anti-neutrino. Add three clockwise
twists and you
have something that behaves just like an electron; three anticlockwise
twists and you have
a positron. Bilson-Thompson'a positron. Bilson-Thompson'<WBR>s model also
produces pho
particles that carry the electromagnetic and weak forces. In fact, these
braided ribbons
seem to map out the entire zoo of particles in the standard model.

Bilson-Thompson published his work online last year
(www.arxiv.org/Bilson-Thom
0503213). Despite its achievements, however, he still didn't know what the
preons were.
Or what his braids were really made from. "I toyed with the idea of them
being micro-
wormholes, which wrapped round each other. Or some other extreme distortions
in the
structure of space-time," he recalls.

It was at this point that Smolin stumbled across Bilson-Thompson'It was at
this point t
this, we got very excited because we had been looking for anything that
might explain
braiding," says Smolin. Were the two types of braids one and the same? Are
particles
nothing more than tangled plaits in space-time?

Smolin invited Bilson-Thompson to Waterloo to help him find out. He also
enlisted the
help of Fotini Markopoulou at the institute, who had long suspected that the
braids in
space might be the source of matter and energy. Yet she was also aware that
this idea sits
uneasily with loop quantum gravity. At every instant, quantum fluctuations
rumple the
network of space-time links, crinkling it into a jumble of humps and bumps.
These
structures are so ephemeral that they last for around 10-44 seconds before
morphing into
a new configuration. "If the network changes everywhere all the time, how
come anything
survives?" asks Markopoulou. "Even at the quantum level, I know that a
photon or an
electron lives for much longer that 10-44 seconds."

Markopoulou had already found an answer in a radical variant of loop quantum
gravity she
had been developing together with David Kribs, an expert in quantum
computing at the
University of Guelph in Ontario. While traditional computers store
information in bits that
can take the values 0 or 1, quantum computers use "qubits" that, in
principle at least, can
be 0 and 1 at the same time, which is what makes quantum computing such a
powerful
idea. Individual qubits' delicate duality is always at risk of being lost as
a result of
interactions with the outside world, but calculations have shown that
collections of qubits
are far more robust than one might expect, and that the data stored on them
can survive
all kinds of disturbance.

In Markopoulou and Kribs's version of loop quantum gravity, they considered
the universe
as a giant quantum computer, where each quantum of space is replaced by a
bit of
quantum information. Their calculations showed that the qubits' resilience
would preserve
the quantum braids in space-time, explaining how particles could be so
long-lived amid
the quantum turbulence.

Smolin, Markopoulou and Bilson-Thompson have now confirmed that the braiding
of this
quantum space-time can produce the lightest particles in the standard model
- the
electron, the "up" and "down" quarks, the electron neutrino and their
antimatter partners
(www.arxiv.org/(www.arxiv.(www.arxi

All from nothing at all

So far the new theory reproduces only a few of the features of the standard
model, such as
the charge of the particles and their "handedness"the charge of the
particles and
particle's quantum-mechanical spin relates to its direction of travel in
space. Even so,
Smolin is thrilled with the progress. "After 20 years, it is wonderful to
finally make some
connection to particle physics that isn't put in by hand," he says.

The correspondence between braids and particles suggests that more
properties may be
waiting to be derived from the theory. The most substantial achievement,
Smolin says,
would be to calculate the masses of the elementary particles from first
principles. It is a
hugely ambitious goal: predicting the masses and other fundamental constants
of nature
was something string theorists set out to do more than 20 years ago - and
have now all
but given up on.

As with string theory, devising experiments to test for the new theory will
also be difficult.
This is a problem that plagues loop quantum gravity in all its guises,
because no
conceivable experiment can probe space down to 10-35 metres.

Ironically, the best arena in which to look for experimental proof might be
the largest
scales in the universe, not the smallest. "The closest anyone is getting to
making
predictions is in the area of cosmology," says John Baez, a mathematician
and expert on
quantum gravity at the University of California, Irvine. Markopoulou is now
trying to think
of ways of testing the braid model using the fossil radiation left over from
the big bang,
the so-called cosmic microwave background that permeates the universe.
Physicists
believe that the patterns we see today in that radiation may have originated
from quantum
fluctuations during the earliest moments of the big bang, when all of the
matter in the
universe was crammed into a space small enough for quantum effects to be
significant.

Meanwhile, Markopoulou'Meanwhile, Markopoulou'<WBR>s vision of the universe
as a gian
more than a useful analogy: it might be true, according to some theorists.
If so, there is
one startling consequence: space itself might not exist. By replacing loop
quantum
gravity's chunks of space with qubits, what used to be a frame of reference
- space itself -
becomes just a web of information. If the notion of space ceases to have
meaning at the
smallest scale, Markopoulou says, some of the consequences of that could
have been
magnified by the expansion that followed the big bang. "My guess is that the
non-
existence of space has effects that are measurable, if you can only see it
right." Because
it's pretty hard to wrap your mind around what it means for there to be no
space, she
adds.

Hard indeed, but worth the effort. If this version of loop quantum gravity
can reproduce all
of the features of the standard model of particle physics and be borne out
in experimental
tests, we could be onto the best idea since Einstein. "It's a beautiful
idea. It's a brave,
strange idea," says Rovelli. "And it might just work."

Of course, most physicists are reserving judgement. Joe Polchinski, a string
theorist at
Stanford University in California, believes that Smolin and his colleagues
still have a lot of
work to do to show that their braids capture all of the details of the full
standard model.
"This is in a very preliminary stage. One has to play with it and see where
it goes,"
Polchinski says.

If the new loop quantum gravity does go the distance, though, it could give
us a new
sense of our place in the universe. If electrons and quarks - and thus atoms
and people -
are a consequence of the way space-time tangles up on itself, we could be
nothing more
than a bundle of stubborn dreadlocks in space. Tangled up as we are, we
could at least
take comfort in knowing at last that we truly are at one with the universe.

Supersizing quantum gravity

For loop quantum gravity to succeed as a fundamental theory of gravity, it
should at the
very least predict that apples fall to Earth. In other words, Newton's law
of gravity should
naturally arise from it. It is a tall order for a theory that generates
space and time from
scratch to describe what happens in the everyday world, but Carlo Rovelli at
the University
of the Mediterranean in Marseille, France, and his team have succeeded in
doing just that.
"Essentially we have calculated Newton's law starting from a world with no
space and no
time," he says (www.arxiv.org/time," he time," he

Newton's law of gravity describes the attractive force between two masses
separated by a
given distance. However, it is not so simple to measure this separation when
space has a
complex quantum architecture of the sort in loop quantum gravity, where it
is not even
clear what is meant by distance. This has been the biggest obstacle to
showing how
Newton's law can emerge from quantised space.

The naive way to measure length in quantised space is to hop from one
quantum to
another, counting how many steps it takes to reach the final destination.
According to
loop quantum gravity, however, the fabric of space seethes with quantum
fluctuations, so
the distance between two points is forever changing, and can even take
several values at
the same time.

Working with Eugenio Bianchi of the University of Pisa, Leonardo Modesto of
the University
of Bologna and Simone Speziale of the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo,
Ontario, Rovelli
circumvented the problem. The team found a mathematical way of isolating
regions of
space for long enough to measure the separation between two points. When
they zoomed
out and used this mathematics to look at space-time on much larger scales,
they found
that Newton's law popped out of their theory.

The calculation by Rovelli's team does not yet reproduce the full complexity
of Einstein's
general relativity, which also describes masses large enough to curve space
appreciably.
Their result does point in the right direction, however. Lee Smolin of the
Perimeter
Institute calls it a major step forward. "Their work shows that loop quantum
gravity
definitely has gravity in it," he says. "It's no longer just pie in the sky."