Re: [Phys-l] Collision of irregular bodies

On Aug 12, 2006, at 8:42 AM, R. McDermott wrote:

. . . Now how about for a single point of contact? Can the mass distribution, etc affect the direction of force as John D. implied?

I think that the mass distribution would affect the consequence of a collision but not the direction of the pair of action-reaction forces at time zero. I am thinking about the duration of collisions. During a collision the direction of the line along our pair of forces is probably changing. So what is true at the moment at which forces start to act (t=0) does not have to be true when deformations develop. Is the collision in question elastic or is it inelastic?

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.