Re: [Phys-l] laser pointer

Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I have an old (red) laser pointer from Metrologic, and the on/off is on
the pocket clip. I have to use tape or a rubber band to keep the beam on
for an extended time. I would like to get two new quality pointers (red
and green) that can be turned on for long periods of time (on/off
button?). Does anyone know of a good source of this type of laser pointer?

I'm not sure I understand the application. If the beam needs to
stay on "for an extended time" perhaps you want a plain old laser
or laser _module_, as opposed to a laser "pointer". Try this:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=green+laser+module

Red lasers are incomparably cheaper than green.

I'm not sure this answers the question, but ... once upon a time
I needed a bunch of lasers to use in photogates. They needed
to stay on for hours at a time. I just got dollar-store lasers
and cut off the front half with a hacksaw. That exposed the
circuitry, so I could solder on some wires, which I then hooked
up to a 3.3V power supply (scavenged from a dead computer).

That was IMHO easier & quicker than shopping for a more "professional"
solution. YMMV.

Dollar-store lasers are plenty good enough for my application, but
it's not practical to run them for "an extended time" on batteries,
because they eat too much power.