Re: [Phys-l] Ball on an inclined plane

I agree with the analysis, and note that mg is approximately 10N. Why would we (or the problem's creator) want to "divide out mg"? The "solution" provided by the book seems to be unitless?! Was the mass supposed to be 0.1Kg?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Gates-fac" <Josh_Gates-fac@nobles.edu>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Ball on an inclined plane

here goes:
What I'm getting from the problem description is that there's a vertical
wall (WLOG, put this on the left) and an inclined plane going from lower
left to upper right, theta above horizontal. The forces on the ball are:
gravity - mg down
force of wall - directed horiz. to right
force of inclined plane - directed normal to plane, towards upper left of
diagram.

net force on ball vanishes in all directions.
In particular, choosing right and up as positive,
Fnet, x = Fwall - Fplane sintheta = 0
Fnet, y = Fplane costheta - mg = 0

from this,

Fplane = mg/cos theta
and
Fwall = mg tantheta

dividing out mg gives Feynman's solution.
jg

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> on