Re: [Phys-l] Ball on an inclined plane

here goes:
What I'm getting from the problem description is that there's a vertical
wall (WLOG, put this on the left) and an inclined plane going from lower
left to upper right, theta above horizontal. The forces on the ball are:
gravity - mg down
force of wall - directed horiz. to right
force of inclined plane - directed normal to plane, towards upper left of
diagram.

net force on ball vanishes in all directions.
In particular, choosing right and up as positive,
Fnet, x = Fwall - Fplane sintheta = 0
Fnet, y = Fplane costheta - mg = 0

from this,

Fplane = mg/cos theta
and
Fwall = mg tantheta

dividing out mg gives Feynman's solution.
jg

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> on