Re: [Phys-l] Rocket Hovering and Conservation of Momentum

On 25-Jul-06, at 9:00 Zeke Kossover wrote:

Howdy-

A student asked me this question recently, and I am not
sure about my answer.

He asked, "Imagine a rocket hovering off the ground,
applying a thrust equal to the rocket's weight. Gas is
moving downwards getting downwards momentum. What is
getting upwards momentum?"

I haven't read any of the ensuing discussion, but I will give my completely predictable response to this question. I will note in passing that the hovering rocket is Jonathan Archibald Wheeler's favorite example of the principle of equivalence, and mine as well. Without looking out the window, an astronaut aboard the rocket cannot tell the difference between his situation in Earth's gravitational field and that of an astronaut in outer space in an accelerating rocket producing the same thrust. The forces acting upon the astronauts are the same in both cases, though some misguided folk would characterize one of those forces as "fictitious".

Oh yes, my answer: have your student apply the principle of momentum conservation in the context to which it is constrained. The momentum of an isolated system is conserved. In this case the phrase "getting downwards momentum" implies that momentum is a real entity, a common cognitive error.

Momentum is not a real thing. It should not be looked upon as being acquired in this case. As your student quite correctly observes and illustrates, that idea is sterile. It leads to no physical enlightenment; it is just confusing. We should listen more carefully to our students' questions. In many cases they may have been lead to the glib application of concepts with which they do not fully understand and appreciate. Rather than constructing elaborate justifications for misapplying such concepts we might better serve them by returning to the basics.

Two things are evidently wrong with the idea that the momentum of the exhaust gas is a real thing. In the first place, the momentum of this particular gas must be defined relative to some particular frame of reference. That is not the case, for example, with a real physical entity like electric charge or mass. Also one must marvel as well at the fact that the "downwards momentum" of the gas seems to increase with time as the gas descends in Earth's gravitational field. Odd behavior for a real entity.

One must go through the analysis systematically: define the system, assure that it is isolated, and calculate the momentum of the system before and after a given process. If you have chosen wisely you will get the same answer for each calculation. Sounds dull, perhaps, but it is a very powerful tool.

I will not extend this already prolix note farther because there is no need to. Do the analysis!

Leigh