Re: [Phys-l] [off list] entropy +- heat

On Jul 23, 2006, at 7:51 AM, John Denker wrote: (in a private message).

Hi --

1) Procedural remark: Your recent posting to phys-l was so badly formatted as
to be incomprehensible. Passages that were supposed to be quotations were
not accurate quotations. I couldn't tell what you were agreeing with and
what you were disagreeing with. Please try again. Find a way of formatting
things so that quotes look like quotes, and your own words look like your
own words.

2) Physis remark: I think you were trying to defend the idea of defining
energy in terms of "MECHANICAL WORK". If so, some obvious questions arise:
-- How do you define "MECHANICAL WORK"?
-- How is that different from plain old "work"?
-- Exactly what is the definition of energy you are advocating?
-- How do you explain the two-potato heat engine, where the amount of
energy and the amount of work do not correspond?
-- If energy is defined in terms of work, and work is defined in terms
of something else, and that is defined in terms of ...., where does
the process end? That is, if each concept is defined in terms of
something more fundamental, what is the *most* fundamental concept?
How do you anchor the chain of definitions?

John:
I was not advocating anything new; I was only commenting on your innovating sequence. Yes, by "work" most authors do mean "mechanical work." This is not a difficult concept, once the idea of force and displacement are introduced. Sorry for the confusion created by using quotation marks for the emphasis.

I added "mechanical" because I remember reading (long time ago) about other kinds of work. That is what came to my mind when I saw your comment that work is a difficult to define concept. Your Two-potato steam engine is great; I would refer to it if I were still teaching. I am certainly not against innovations in teaching. But I am not convinced that your sequence is appropriate for the first physics course. That was the most important part of my comment.

P.S. You asked:

> If energy is defined in terms of work, and work is
> defined in terms of something else, and that is
> defined in terms of ...., where does the process end?

I do not know how to answer this question.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.