Re: [Phys-l] NASA versus Bayes

Hi all-
While I do not mean to argue in favor of surveillance, I object to specious argument. The quoted article, apparently based upon no data whatsoever and using self-serving speculative statistics, argues (in part):
No matter how sophisticated and super-duper are NSA's methods for
identifying terrorists, no matter how big and fast are NSA's
computers, NSA's accuracy rate will never be 100% and their
misidentification rate will never be 0%. That fact, plus the extremely
low base-rate for terrorists, means it is logically impossible for
mass surveillance to be an effective way to find terrorists. . .

The operative word here is "effective". That word covers such a multitude of unknowns, that the stated conclusion is a non-sequitur. In particular, the author of the quote does not, as far as I can see, give us a clue as to what his threshold for "effective" might be. Bernard is simply quoting irrational propaganda that is no more persuasive than the administration's unsupported statement that the program is "necessary". In fact, it is less persuasive, because there are patriotic Americans who will "leak", if necessary, improper uses of surveillance program.
Regards,
Jack