Re: [Phys-l] COLD FUSION (was dirty water)

I suspect it is the same thing that keeps electrons inside metals ordinarily. If an electron leaves, the metal has a net positive charge and is attracted back to the metal. You can fancy this up with energy arguments and qm if you wanted to begin to think about tunnelling and field emission, but basically that is what is going on.
I seems to me that if you try to remove an ion from the solution, the solution would have a net charge. This is also the issue of ions in solution not being the isolated ions we imagine, but rather bulky hydrated things, so for the ion to evaporate, it would have to shed all those molecules.

cheers,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics