Re: [Phys-l] dirty water

Distillation of urine with solar energy was one of the things we were taught in survival school when I was on active duty in the Marine Corps. This was decades ago, so it's not a new idea.

On a different note, I've heard, but cannot document, that when the astronauts first went up into space that they did not "recycle" their urine for drinking water. Seems a triumph of aesthetics over practicality; strange given the importance of weight reduction for space missions. Does anyone know if this was / is true?

Bob Yeend

Who just finished watching the Italy-France game.

Thanks. What I had in mind was purity of the re-condensed liquid. By
the way, did somebody take a patent on turning urine into drinking
water by using solar energy. I am thinking about caravans in equatorial
deserts. An oasis with fresh water made from the urine left by previous
visitors.

Hei, it is time to start watching the France-Italy game in Berlin.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.