Re: [Phys-l] Work and Energy: which first?

OTOH -- in analogy to ontology recapitulates phylogeny * I think an historical approach in teaching Physics is valid.

bc, thinks this oughta provoke JD.

* of course discredited:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontogeny_and_phylogeny

p.s. pan balances only recently superseded by strain gauge types.

John Denker wrote:

Marc "Zeke" Kossover wrote:

As Professor Denker says, it is a matter of taste.

cut

Note that I mention this *after* having argued on physical and
pedagogical grounds that the foregoing is reasonable, and having
said at the very start that other approaches are also reasonable
and are a matter of taste. I don't want anybody to think that I
am suggesting that the energy-balance argument is recommended
(let alone required) because of its antiquity. Forsooth I would
put the opposite spin on it: I would say it is quite uncommon to
see ancient technology and ancient pedagogy remain viable so long.