Re: [Phys-l] Women Earn 46% of Undergraduate Math Degrees but Represent Only 8% of Math Professors ??

Come on; out w/ it. Don't be coy.

bc

Jack Uretsky wrote:

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, John Clement wrote:

Come on, this is silly. The problem of care for children is a major one
that our country has not faced up to. Some European countries provide
excellent care so that the mothers can work. Working mothers is now an
economic imperative. That is also a problem, but one which has been forced
onto people and is not just a matter of choice.

In the days when household labor supplied many necessities of life, the
women also worked, but in the home. Women used to make clothing, but now
that is a hobby for the few. Even before the current economic situation
women were forced to work outside the home or find a type of work which paid
money and could be done in the home. Think washerwoman, servant ... On
farms women would do some of the farm work. Indeed the whole family would
work together. I know this intimately, having been raised on a farm in a
poor farming community.

Then there have always been wealthy people who hired nannies for their
children so they did not have to take care of them. Or a number of children
were put into boarding schools. Actors married to actresses did that.
Again, there is family experience here. The nannies of course were not
allowed to have children. Some children went to pre-K dayschools.

So, yes working mothers are a problem, but only when good daycare is not
available. Some countries pay to have mothers stay at home, while others
provide free daycare. The US does none of the above. We don't even
adequately inspect daycare facilities!!!

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I agree with you that something is wrong. Since women have entered the
workplace
and are competing favorably with men for the same jobs, there is no one
to keep a home and pay adequate attention to the raising of our children.

Which is of course, the exclusive province of women. Ergo, women need
to be kept barefoot and pregnant, otherwise society will fall apart.

Is that your message, Herb?