Re: [Phys-l] Women Earn 46% of Undergraduate Math DegreesbutRepresent Only 8% of Math Professors ??

At 09:39 -0500 6/3/06, Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

This thread is getting a bit off-topic, butI feel compelled to make one comment here. You seem to have left out one important factor - who is better qualified at child-rearing! Or for that matter, who WANTS to stay home with the children. The care & wlefare of the children seems to be at the very bottom of your list of factors to consider, rather than up near (or at) the top. I expect that wasn't your intent, but that is the way it came out.

Now, certainly women don't hold a monopoly on child-rearing abilities, and the couple should consider a variety of factors when making decisions on childcare. Still, one of those factors is biology. It's not a toss up as to which parent can nurse the child. It's not a toss up as to which parent will be getting pregnant (which is a major medical event) if the couple has another child. Call me old-fashioned, but when "everything else" is equal, there is still a logical deciding factor between fathers and mothers staying home. Only when "evertything else" tips a bit toward the father will it be a toss up.

We are talking here about already existing children. After the birth of a child, the mother is no longer pregnant and barring complications she should be fit to return to work (if she desires) within a few weeks at most. Nursing, while recommended, is optional. In some cases it is not possible, or possible only with considerable inconvenience. Even so, I know of many nursing mothers who are able to nurse their child while working, either by storing the milk, or by having the child nearby so she can accommodate the child while still on the job.

So, in most cases, Tim's concerns are not relevant. If men are not as good at child rearing as women, it is most likely because they are not socialized in that direction when they are children. I certainly wasn't, but ended up a single parent anyway, and had to take on those tasks, whether I wanted to or not. I probably wasn't very good at it. I had a demanding job (the Navy, which, for obvious reasons, I couldn't just up and leave), and minimal skills in the parenting area. And, as it happened, both my kids had learning disabilities that required more of my time than I had to spare.

Of course, the determining factor here has to be the desires of the parents. I will stipulate that in most cases the mother will opt of her own free will to be the stay-at-home parent (assuming one parent will take that role). But that doesn't justify making the assumption at the outset that we are in trouble because *mothers* are not staying home to raise their children. In the present day, there are any number of quite viable options available to couples (depending, of course, on their occupations and economic status--they are much restricted at the lower end of the economic spectrum).

It simply is not reasonable to attribute all of the social ills of the day to the lack of adequate mother support at home for children. Many kids with single parents who work turn out fine. Some kids with a caring parent at home full time don't, for any number of reasons.

We need to stop making unwarranted generalizations and assumptions about who should be at home and who doesn't have to be, and recognize that every situation is different and needs to be dealt with on its own merits, and we cannot make assumptions about the role of someone we meet based simply on sex or melanin content of their skin.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams