Re: [Phys-l] Women Earn 46% of Undergraduate Math Degrees but Represent Only 8% of Math Professors ??

At 17:36 -0400 6/2/06, Herb Gottlieb wrote:

Please try to be a bit more serious. I never suggested that women should
be
kept barefoot or continually pregnant. But, I repeat that women should
certainly remain at home and pay a lot more attention to the nutrition
and well being of their children. I sincerely believe that society is
now beginning to fall apart with both parents working while children
wander
about with little or no parental supervision.

But my point, Herb, was that this seems to be something we expect of women, but not of men. Why can't the men stay home and take care of the children? Why is it a tacit assumption that if children are not getting sufficient care, that the burden must fall on the mothers, rather than the fathers? Are men really so insecure that they cannot risk having to stay home with their children while the mother works? This of course assumes that either parent alone is capable of bringing in sufficient income to provide the family with adequate resources.

What about single parents? That is a common condition these days, and even more so among the lower economic echelons where affording day-care is pretty much out of the question. North Carolina offers a subsidy to people making less than a certain minimum wage, for day care, but it has consistently underfunded the program and the waiting list for day care subsidies from qualified recipients is now in excess of 30,000 children. These are from families where both parents have to work just to put food on the table, if there even are two parents available.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams