Re: [Phys-l] Losing Heat again

Hey, won't someone please help me out here

Jim

At 11:11 AM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
Sometimes I get a feeling of senility. I read the following from my browser:

"In the second paper, the same research team suggests that a quantum
particle (such as an electron) interacting strongly with a reservoir
of particles may violate the Clausius inequality--one formulation of
the second law of thermodynamics, which states that it is impossible
to do work without losing heat. What the researchers term "appalling
behavior" can be traced to the quantum mechanical property of
entanglement, in which a quantum particle (such as an electron) is so
strongly interlinked with another particle or group of particles that
the resulting behavior cannot be treated by standard thermodynamic approaches."

What did I miss here? Does the 2nd Law say that I can't "do work"
without "losing heat"??? What does this mean? Perhaps I am having a
senior moment.

J M Green
Email: MailTo:JMGreen@sisna.com
WWW: HTTP://users.sisna.com/JMGreen