and are competing favorably with men for the same jobs, there is no one
to keep a home and pay adequate attention to the raising of our children.

Herb

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:29:38 -0600 JMGreen <jmgreen@sisna.com> writes:

As reported by Rick Reis (2006) in Tomorrow's Professor, Message
#717, "Proof and Prejudice: Women in Mathematics," Lisa Trie
(2006)
in the "Stanford Report of 15 February 2006 wrote:

"According to [Londa] Schiebinger, women earn 46 percent of
undergraduate math degrees in this country but represent only 8
percent of math professors."

What are we supposed to ascertain from this?

Should we assume that women and men are "equal" in some way -- that

women have the same thinking as men -- that they have the same goals

and values -- and that there should be an equivalent number of
female
professors -- so something must be wrong in these cases?

Or should we realize that women have better sense than to go into
education -- that they have different goals and values than men?

Jim

J M Green
Email: MailTo:JMGreen@sisna.com
WWW: HTTP://users.sisna.com/JMGreen