Re: [Phys-l] Smart Students

At 20:27 -0500 5/30/06, Jack Uretsky wrote:

Only true for the junior grades where the statutory attrition is
negligible. So the rule for grading junior officers actually makes some
practical sense because a bad fitness report at the beginning of a career
can make the whole career a dead end.

Not so. Unless they have changed the system a whole lot since I retired in '78. I consistently had marks on my evaluations that were in the best column, except for one or two in the next best column. It still wasn't good enough to get me to screen for command or get promoted to Captain.

In retrospect, they did me a favor. I've had a much better career since I left the Navy than I would have had if I had stayed in. But it didn't feel that way at the time. Officers with a PhD but limited combat experience were not looked upon favorably. Unlike the other services, the Navy has never looked very favorably on those who are not in the command track, regardless of their evaluations, or other qualifications.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams