[Phys-l] An Invitation

(Peregrinus expectavi, pedes meos, in cymbalis est.)

As a high school teacher, I am aware that I am an interloper on this list.
I have remained on the list for more than 10 years because of the occasional useful piece by people like M. Edmiston and R. McDermott, et al., whose thoughtful and informed commentary I have found useful in my ongoing efforts to improve my teaching. Culling out the arrogant, argumentative, spiteful and disrespectful posts by a few on the list costs no more than a look at the return address and a click on the delete button, after all.

I would, however, like to encourage the high school teachers on this list to join a less combative group that has, so far, not been co-opted by the few who might use the list to inflate their egos by attacking and denigrating other correspondents. That list is the AP Physics EDG operated by the College Board. The AP Physics list is one of the more active EDG's and is peopled by dedicated, principled, earnest HS teachers who treat others with respect and consideration. It is a list all can contribute to without fear of being belittled. It is a also a list peopled by those who know well the students we interact with daily.

Even though you may not teach AP Physics, you will find a great deal of interest to you, including curriculum suggestions, labs, and demonstration ideas. I have found it to be of considerable value. Join us in a community of highly motivated, respectful teachers.

Wes Davis
(A card-carrying member of Medicare)