Re: [Phys-l] Unit Conversions (was Mass and Energy)

Hi all-

On Sat, 27 May 2006, John Clement wrote (in part):

The second problem is that the mix of students you have has a large number
of students who do not understand proportional reasoning.
This is in Arons' book. The majority of students not only do not understand proportional reasoning, they don't understand "proportion". Nor do they understand "ratio". Ask your students to take the ratio of two quantities and see how many come back with the difference.
Moral: If you want students to do proportional reasoning, proceed slowly and start from scratch. Talk baby talk, and make sure that you only use wards that everyone understands. Have your students write out their understanding before they leave the classroom, so you can deal with misconceptions at the next class.
Regards,
Jack