Re: [Phys-l] Mass and Energy (Binding)

There are many issues here with respect to student understanding.

There are some books which actually state that bonds store energy, so one must be aware of these. In addition some teacher repeat this so that students may have actually been taught the misconception. Actually there are a large number of teachers who have the misconception. Some treat this statement as shorthand for what is really going on.

Now to get down to some problems with pedagogy. The idea of negative energy is very confusing to many students so just making the quantity negative will not solve the problem. This is bound up in how well students understand negative, positive and zero. Most teachers in HS and many in college do not confront the idea that we pick which direction is positive. Indeed math in HS takes a very rigid view of this and even implies that positive is always either up or to the right. They have even put arrows on both ends of the axes to tell the student the line goes on. This eviscerates the traditional usage of the arrow to show the positive direction. It also causes problems in understanding vectors.

Some HS books such as Minds on Physics explicitly confront the issue of positive and negative. Now once students have acquired a good view of the sign of numbers, the idea of negative energy will be a little more understandable. Notice that we have just picked the positive direction for binding energy.

Then there is the problem of how do you get energy. The texts all say that food contains energy. But if you seal it into a vacuum packed baggie, you can not get that energy out. So where is the energy? It is in the food-Oxygen system, not in the food or in the oxygen. Notice that as long as this misconception is not confronted students will say that bonds have to have energy.

Finally there is the usage of words. We say bonds break, but that conjures up what happens when a rubber band breaks. Again this gives students the wrong image. When a rubber band breaks it snaps and releases energy. They need to think of a bond like being something that merely stretches and thins until it is effectively gone. At this point there is the logical puzzle of where the energy went. Again to locate it you need to say it is in the system, but not in the individual atoms, nucleons ...

So confronting this misconception requires a lot of attention to detail. Yes, lots of graphs can be helpful, if students actually understand graphs. This of course depends on the student audience. Elementary school teachers will require a different treatment from physics students. But it is valuable because students can graduate from college with a degree in biology and still have this misconception. I daresay the majority of batchelor's degree students in biology may have this misconception. I was told by one that the college biology books even repeat this misconception.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Maybe we can do the same for "bond energy". That way, students may be
less inclined to think that breaking a bond always "releases" energy.

Since "binding energy" is (always?) defined as a positive quantity, I find it confusing. We can define it as

1) The minimum energy needed to separate the particles (which makes it, in my mind, the unbinding energy) and/or

2) As you say, the minimum energy released when the system is formed.

I think that the "binding energy" should actually be a negative quantity, but we are not going to change tradition.

Tom Sandin