Re: [Phys-l] Mass and Energy

Hi!

Hugh wrote:

"The difference, originally quaintly called the "mass defect," is,
of course, the "binding energy" that serves to hold the nucleus together. ... So where does the "binding energy" that holds these particles together come from?"

I'm a bit confused here. I have thought that the binding energy
is the energy that a system *gives away* when bonds are formed;
the bonding could be chemical, nuclear or whatever. The mass of
the system decreases because part of the initial rest energy
('the mass defect') is transported to the surroundings or
manifests itself as kinetic energy of the products. Isn't this
the whole idea behind extracting nuclear power?

So I wouldn't like to talk about the binding energy as if it
were present in the system to keep it together. Should I correct
my view?

Regards,

Antti

Antti Savinainen
Kuopio Lyseo High School
Finland
E-mail: <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi>
Website: <http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/physics/>

--
Viesti on tarkastettu MailScanner ohjelmistolla
virusten ja roskapostien suodattamiseksi.