Re: [Phys-l] Mass and Energy

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Prof E. E. Baart wrote (in part):

3. I recently saw a statement by someone or other that "80 to 90% of
the energy in the universe exist in the Kinetic energies of the
gluons and quarks". How does this relate to rest mass ?

I wonder if you're referring to recent essays (Nature and/or Physics Today) by Frank Wilczek? He has recently been writing about the origin of mass, and seems to find it striking that matter (protons and other hadrons) are so heavy although their presumed constituents are massless gluons and nearly massless light quarks. It is possible that such speculations will lead Wilczek to a calculation that will win him another Nobel, but until such time I shall decline to attempt to explain them (pick your own antecedent for "them").
Regards,
Jack