[Phys-l] Mass and Energy

This topic has probably been covered several times but as a newcomer
to the forum I do not know what the consensus was (if one was
possible).

Question: What is the modern view of the mass-energy relation?

Points for discussion:

1. I believe Einstein's 1905 paper was entitled (in translation)
"Does energy have mass"? This would put mass as a property of energy
and not something different.

2. Halliday and Resnick state "mass is simply another form of
energy".

3. I recently saw a statement by someone or other that "80 to 90% of
the energy in the universe exist in the Kinetic energies of the
gluons and quarks". How does this relate to rest mass ?

4. One frequently sees statements that matter is converted into
energy.

I am confused and would welcome clarification - a challenge for J.D.

Eddie
Emeritus Prof Eddie Baart
Dept of Physics and Electronics
Rhodes University, P O Box 94