[Phys-l] Women Earn 46% of Undergraduate Math Degrees but Represent Only 8% of Math Professors ??

As reported by Rick Reis (2006) in Tomorrow's Professor, Message #717, "Proof and Prejudice: Women in Mathematics," Lisa Trie (2006) in the "Stanford Report of 15 February 2006 wrote:
"According to [Londa] Schiebinger, women earn 46 percent of undergraduate math degrees in this country but represent only 8 percent of math professors."

I relayed a portion of Trei's report to Math-Learn, Phys-L, PhysLrnR, POD, and RUME, including the above statement attributed to Schiebinger.
But in a recent RUME (Research in Undergraduate Mathematics) post Cathy Kessel (2006), President-Elect of the Association for Women in Mathematics <http://www.awm-math.org/>, wrote [bracketed by lines "KKKKKKKKKK. . . ."; my CAPS; slightly edited]:

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
I WONDER IF SOME CONTEXT GOT LOST FROM SCHIEBINGER'S STATEMENT, MAYBE
SHE MEANT SOMETHING LIKE "PROFESSORS AT RESEARCH 1 UNIVERSITIES"?

In mathematics departments, tenure-eligible college faculty members are 31% female, other full-time faculty members are 47% female, and tenured faculty members are 17% female (Lutzer, Maxwell, & Rodi, 2002). In the "top 10" mathematics departments, there are approximately 300 tenured faculty members; 16 of them are female (Jackson, 2004).

Somewhat related is the episode of "The Simpsons" that is supposed to air on April 30 is called "Girls Just Want to Have Sums" and is to discuss women in
mathematics: <http://www.mathsci.appstate.edu/~sjg/simpsonsmath//sums.html>.
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

And on Apr 26 19:10:08 EDT 2006, Patricia Hale, in the Math Dept. at Cal Poly Pomona posted on the RUME list:

"Another possibility is that [Schiebinger] simply meant only 8% of full professors. The AMS data for 2004 indicates that 16% of tenured faculty are women (combining Groups I, II, III, Va, M & B). I am pretty sure the percentage for full professors is lower than the percentage for Associate and Full combined."

Londa Schiebinger has not responded to a 26 April 2006 request for clarification. I wonder if anyone has any further ideas on what Londa Schiebinger might have meant?

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>