Re: [Phys-l] "Flow"

Thank you, bc-- This I understand

At 12:46 AM 5/20/2006, you wrote:
I answered the question for myself by using google (etymonline.com).
From the similarity in the roots and the words themselves, I think the
idea of flow should be eschewed by instructors of beginners, except for
(with) real (as opposed to imaginary) fluids, e.g. water, gasses, ions,
etc.

You seem to agree with Larry here, but I wonder if it should not be eschewed by "instructors" everywhere. Medical language seems to be very precise perhaps for a reason. Here on this list our discussions sometimes seem to get bollixed up because the language looses precision.

p.s. momentum is transferred from one object to another by work (+ & -)
during a collision?

Or as a result of any kind of interaction? As in the Joule case?

Would you consider not using the term "transferred" as well? If it is a property of a system, its magnitude can be changed, but not moved independently.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Jim