Re: [Phys-l] thinking skills (and how to teach thinking skills)

I beg to differ. Being in the educational trenches...I'm assuming that is what you mean...is no substitute for having experienced a research environment.

Sadly some of us who have been in a research environment in academia isolated the research learning experience from the academic learning experience...the reward system tends to do that...minimize teaching and focus on research. As a result, we tend not to apply the same standards to learning in the classroom that we applied to learning in our research, since they were somehow seen as different, when they are not.

cheers,
joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

On May 11, 2006, at 10:38 AM, Rauber, Joel wrote:

| jbellina wrote:
| Simply put, Herb, the action is in the instruction not in
| the testing...the idea is to make them active engagers in
| their own learning. If you have ever been involved in a
| research environment then you know for that experience what
| is being talked about.
|
| Since many others on this list-serve, as well as myself, have
| never "been involved in a research environment" it would be
| helpful to have an explanation that is a bit more detailed.
|

| Thanks in advance.
|
| Herb

IMO, Herb, you have been in a "research" environment for decades. By
being in the trenches.

Experience does count.