Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

On May 11, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Rick Tarara wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rauber, Joel" <Joel.Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU>

The context is certainly important in understanding what an author meant
in their writings. The "non fingo . . ." I think indicates rather
conclusively Newton's intentions.

Of course, did he throw that in because he REALLY didn't want to speculate
or because:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0510&L=semnet&D=0&T=0&P=27727

"Newton's "Hypotheses non fingo" was in response to criticism that
all he had was an interesting conjecture and not proven results.
In those days hypotheses were not considered a good thing. Francis
Bacon railed against the speculative hypotheses of the Aristotelian
philosophers of his time and demanded resort to experience."

Who is to know?

;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Updated animation packages.
COMING: Spanish language versions.
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm