Re: [Phys-l] Physics First

I'm starting a new job next year where this is the plan. I'm not against
it per se, but a problem that I've perceived is that, after taking Bio in
10th grade and Chem in 11th grade, students come back to a meatier version
of physics in 12th grade. Since students in 9th grade lack the
mathematical tools to make it an intro course in the sense that we're
familiar with it in the "physics last" curriculum, this second course must
essentially be the same course that we're used to teaching anyway - both
because the tools are then available, allowing the traditional depth to be
reached, and because the material would largely have been forgotten over
the intervening two years. The "intro, then AP" model that I'm used to is
not available, since they run out of years, and the only option is to go
from a physical science/physics 9th grade course to an AP course 3 years
later.

Josh Gates
Noble and Greenough
Dedham MA