Re: [Phys-l] F causing a or Delta-V causing I

And vice versa, do the same people who don't buy into the idea of F causing
a also not buy into Delta-V causing I?

Or are there any out there in PHYS-L-land who would say that F doesn't
cause a, but Delta-V causes I?

Well, Larry, why does it have to be one way or the other?

If I am faced with a block and I push really hard and the block moves, don't I say that _I_, my push, moved the block? Now if I wanted to do some figuring, I might remember F=ma and calculate what I was deeply concerned about. But during the figuring I would think force caused the acceleration. If some body came along and said no no no the acceleration caused the force, I would think that they were nuts.

However, there might be a situation were the imagery might seem different

If I am faced with a complicated circuit and happen to have a hefty battery and a couple of wires at hand and I hook up the circuit. I might look at a meter or two and think that the voltage of the battery caused current to flow.

On the other hand if, instead of a battery, I had a constant current power supply and I hooked things up, I might think that the current had caused a voltage drop across the circuit.

Or I might wave my arms in the air and try to proclaim some rule that everyone else must follow. Well, no, that would make me feel silly.

Jim