Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

Let me change something that I earlier presented BY BOLD ASSERTION to a question, even though I risk the wrath and the ridicule of the demi-god(s) of this list.

IS PHYSICS ALGEBRA?

Just because we write an algebraic equation to relate physical quantities, do ALL THE RULES of algebra necessarily apply to the physics. Must nature obey our artificial mathematical rules? Can't forces cause accelerations even in the equation we have used to MODEL this can be rewritten to _suggest_ that accelerations cause forces--or that nothing causes anything! Does physical causality have to follow our attempts to represent the physics with algebra?

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Updated animation packages.
COMING: Spanish language versions.
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>

The criticism of my example is entirely without merit.
It looks to me like grasping at straws.

The community has a choice:
-- We can accommodate a few people who have strongly-held opinions, or
-- We can rely on the axioms and bedrock principles of mathematics.

I've always had good luck going with the principles. I recommend we go
with the principles.