Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

John,

We (you and I) seem to be at risk of talking past each other - perhaps preparing for pistols at twenty paces.

I'm sorry that you see my statement of a physical model that is, I am sure (see, there I go again), held by many of us, to be a bold assertion.

Nevertheless, I will repeat it.
One (or more) force(s) acts (act) on a particle; a particle experiences a single acceleration (which may have a different value in a different frame of reference).

Let me make a final comment on one of your comments:

This is not a technicality. If you permit me to pick apart the force
I can also pick apart the acceleration; if you require me to lump
the accelerations together I will insist on lumping the forces together.
I must insist on consistency.

Ah, the difference is that there can be many individual forces but there is only a single acceleration. It is not a matter of consistency or not but of the physics of the situation.
My bold assertion against your bold insistence.

Otherwise I will leave it to our colleagues on the list to comment, as and if they wish, on our points of difference.

Brian McInnes