Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

With regard to

What are we 'controlling' when we step on the accelerator pedal of a car? It seems to me that you can make very strong arguments for either force or acceleration.

bc wrote:

Macroscopically no problem *, microscopically the control is fuel, which results in an F or torque, which results ....

* I will appreciate reading one of your arguments for acceleration.

How about this?

When the light turns green, I press on the accelerator (and the brake) in order to produce a certain desired acceleration. Indeed, I consider myself to be "controlling" the acceleration--not so little as to stimulate road rage in the guy behind me and not so much as to smash into the rear end of the car ahead. I'll let the car's systems figure out what force is needed to produce that acceleration.

John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and